Wembley Stadium, Middlesex - Framed Picture - 11" x 14"
The original Wembley Stadium (formerly known as the Empire Stadium) was a football stadium in Wembley Park, which stood on the same site now occupied by its successor, the new Wembley Stadium.
Its twin towers were an icon for England and Wembley, and their demolition in 2003 upset many people worldwide.
It was famous for hosting the annual FA Cup, League Cup and Challenge Cup finals, five European Cup finals, the 1948 Summer Olympics, the 1966 World Cup Final, the final of Euro 96, and the 1992 and 1995 Rugby League World Cup Finals. Brazilian footballer Pelé once said of the stadium, "Wembley is the cathedral of football. It is the capital of football and it is the heart of football.
The stadium's first turf was cut by King George V, and it was first opened to the public on 28 April 1923. Much of Humphrey Repton's original Wembley Park landscape was transformed in 1922–23 during preparations for the British Empire Exhibition of 1924–25.
First known as the British Empire Exhibition Stadium or simply Empire Stadium, it was built by Sir Robert McAlpine for the British Empire Exhibition of 1924.
The stadium cost £750,000 and was constructed on the site of an earlier folly called Watkin's Tower. The ground had been used for football as early as the 1880s
The stadium's distinctive Twin Towers became its trademark and nickname. Also well known were the 39 steps needed to be climbed to reach the Royal box and collect a trophy (and winners'/losers' medals). Wembley was the first pitch to be referred to as "Hallowed Turf", with many stadia around the world borrowing this phrase.