Cart 0

PosterCo Ltd

St Dunstan's, Fleet Street - Thomas Shotter Boys - Felix Rose 1994 - Framed Print - 14"H x 11"W

£25.00

St Dunstan's, Fleet Street - Thomas Shotter Boys - Felix Rose 1994 - Framed Print - 14"H x 11"W

Thomas Shotter Boys was an English watercolour painter and lithographer.

He studied in Paris where he came under the influence of Richard Parkes Bonington, who persuaded him to abandon engraving for painting.

His most important work, Picturesque Architecture in Paris, Ghent, Antwerp, Rouen, etc., a collection of colour lithographs, appeared in 1839. It was described in a review as "the first successful effort in chroma-lithography hitherto brought to perfection". King Louis-Philippe sent the artist a ring in recognition of its merits.

The Guild Church of St Dunstan-in-the-West is in Fleet Street. It is dedicated to a former Bishop of London and Archbishop of Canterbury

It is not known exactly when the original church was built, but it was possibly erected by Saint Dunstan himself, or his followers. King Henry III gained possession of it and its endowments in 1237 and then granted these to the "House of Converts".

William Tyndale, the celebrated translator of the Bible, was a lecturer at the church.

The medieval church underwent many alterations before its demolition in the early 19th century to allow the widening of Fleet Street and a new church was built on its burial ground. Some of the monuments from the medieval building were reinstituted in the new church and a fragment of the old churchyard remains between Clifford's Inn and Bream's Buildings.

On the façade is a chiming clock, with figures of giants, representing Gog and Magog, who strike the bells with their clubs. It was installed on the previous church in 1671. It was the first public clock in London to have a minute hand.

Above the entrance is a statue of Queen Elizabeth I, taken from the old Ludgate. This statue, by William Kerwin dates from 1586 and is thought to be the oldest outdoor statue in London.

Interesting Fact:

    Lord Baltimore, who founded Maryland, was buried here in 1632; as was his son

    The church has often been associated with the legend of Sweeney Todd, the 'demon-barber' of Fleet Street.


    Share this Product


    More from this collection