Cart 0

PosterCo Ltd

Regent Street towards the Quadrants - Thomas Shotter Boys - Felix Rose 1994 - Framed Print - 11"H x 14"W

£25.00

Regent Street towards the Quadrants - Thomas Shotter Boys - Felix Rose 1994 - Framed Print - 11"H x 14"W

Thomas Shotter Boys was an English watercolour painter and lithographer.

He studied in Paris where he came under the influence of Richard Parkes Bonington, who persuaded him to abandon engraving for painting.

His most important work, Picturesque Architecture in Paris, Ghent, Antwerp, Rouen, etc., a collection of colour lithographs, appeared in 1839. It was described in a review as "the first successful effort in chroma-lithography hitherto brought to perfection". King Louis-Philippe sent the artist a ring in recognition of its merits.

Regent Street is a major shopping street in the West End of London. It is named after George, the Prince Regent (later George IV) and was built under the direction of the architect John Nash.

The street was completed in 1825 and was an early example of town planning in England, replacing a number of earlier roads including Swallow Street. Nash's street layout has survived, although all the original buildings except All Soul's Church have been replaced following reconstruction in the late 19th century.

The street was designed by John Nash, who had been appointed to the Office of Woods and Forests in 1806 and previously served as an adviser to the Prince Regent. He put forward his own plans for the street envisioning broad, architecturally distinguished thoroughfares and public spaces.

Nash originally wanted to construct a straight boulevard in the same style seen in France, but this was not possible due to land ownership. The road was designed to curve east between Oxford Street and Piccadilly so that it did not meet St James's Square, and the circuses allowed visual continuity down the street.

The central section, known as the Quadrant, was designed for "shops appropriated to articles of fashion and taste", and was Nash's centrepiece design of the entire street. It was built with a colonnade made out of cast-iron columns, allowing commuters to walk along the street without having to face bad weather. The various buildings along the Quadrant had different facades, which was a deliberate choice by Nash to break away from the uniform design of the previous century, as well as a pragmatic means of using what building materials were available and what clients wanted.


Share this Product


More from this collection