Marlow - Framed Picture - 12" x 16"
Marlow (historically Great Marlow or Chipping Marlow) is a town in south Buckinghamshire.
The name is recorded in 1015 as Mere lafan, meaning "Land left after the draining of a pond" in Old English.
From Norman times the manor, parish, and later borough were formally known as Great Marlow, distinguishing them from Little Marlow.
Marlow is recorded in the Domesday Book as Merlaue.
Marlow owed its importance to its location on the River Thames, where the road from Reading to High Wycombe crosses the river. It had its own market by 1227 (hence the name Chipping Marlow), although the market lapsed before 1600.
There has been a bridge over the Thames at Marlow since the reign of King Edward III The current bridge is a suspension bridge, designed by William Tierney Clark in 1832, and was a prototype for the much larger Széchenyi Chain Bridge across the River Danube in Budapest.