Goring Lock, Berkshire - Framed Picture - 20" x 16"
Goring Lock is a lock and weir situated on the River Thames at the Goring Gap in the Chiltern Hills.
The lock is located on the Oxfordshire bank at Goring-On-Thames, with Streatley, Berkshire on the opposite side of the river. The lock was first built in 1787 by the Thames Navigation Commissioners
There was originally a weir and ferry here belonging to Goring Priory, which became the property of millers who kept a flash lock.
A report in a newspaper of 1674 tells how 60 people drowned in the lock when the ferryman rowed too close to it. The pound lock was built in August 1787 from oak. Over several decades operation of the lock appears to have been shared with that of Cleeve Lock until 1869. Following this there were plans to build a lock-house, but this was not started until 1879. The lock itself was replaced in 1886.