Metropole Cafe - Jazz Club in New York - Framed Picture - 16"H x 12"W
A 16"H x 12"W" framed Picture of 'Metropole Cafe - Jazz Club in New York'
The Metropole Cafe was a jazz club that operated in New York from the mid-1950s through 1965. Located at 7th Avenue and 48th Street, it was primarily noted in the bebop and progressive jazz era as being a venue for traditional musicians. Henry "Red" Allen, a New Orleans veteran of many bands including King Oliver's and Fletcher Henderson's, led the house band there beginning in 1954.
The Metropole featured jazz performances in the afternoon and evening. Its bandstand was a long runway behind the bar, which proved convenient when the club later abandoned jazz to feature strippers.